Wednesday, September 16, 2009

They say our love won’t pay the cable bill

When I moved to Michigan with no job and no prospects, I knew paying the bills would be hard. I didn’t know it would be literally difficult.

We got our first cable bill this week. It was for roughly twice the amount we signed up for with the cable company.

Step one: Call cable company. Speak to representative who changes bill back to original amount.

Step two: Set up account to pay bill online through cable company’s website.

Step three: Attempt unsuccessfully to view or pay bill online. Give up and go watch TV.

Step four: Try again next day to view or pay bill online. Bill is still in previous amount.

Step five: Call cable company and speak to representative to pay bill

Step six: Convince representative that even though the cable bill not in my name, I should be allowed to pay. Her response: “yeah, most people wouldn’t pay someone else’s bill.”

Step seven: Hurriedly abort paying bill over the phone to avoid a service fee of $4 for using the phone to pay.

Step eight: Drive out to cable company, spend an hour in line, speak directly to representative. Representative informs me that the phone bill pay went through, but I was not charged the $4.

I’m actually quite proud of my accomplishments.

1 comment:

  1. When I lived in rocheter I actaully had to drive out the the cable co. every month to pay our bill. There may have been other ways to do it but I am unsure what they were.

    ReplyDelete