Saturday, September 5, 2009

Domestic Parner Update

I blogged last week about our problems with the University’s requirement that puts Brian and I between a rock and a marriage hard place. To recap—the university requires all non student residents to be married or have a domestic partnership with their student roommate. Upon arriving, we were threatened with eviction or a legal domestic partnership.

We wrote an email to the Housing Powers That Be asking them to grant us an exception on the grounds that 1) I’d lose my insurance and 2) we could not find any mention of the requirement in the lease and 3) we were told verbally on the phone that a 2012 wedding was not a problem.

A few days ago we received the much-waited for email letting us know that we had been granted our exception. And since the woman is particularly nasty, she reiterated that the exception was given because of the insurance situation, and that we had not read the lease nor given our wedding date to the university.

We’ve decided to contact her superior.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You shall still have insurance!
    Also, let me know how contacting her superior goes - she sounds terrible.

    In general, so far your Ann Arbor stories have been making me shake my head. Unfriendly to bikers, a library with no books, trying to make an engaged couple get married... *shakes head.*

    Talk to you soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete