Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Love Actually Moment

Hugh Grant Voice over:

I had a great plan for today’s blog. There were going to be two, one about things that happened to me yesterday and another about things that happened to me this morning. Those will be posted tomorrow. Today’s blog is a bit of a different post than other days, but it’s important.

My grandpa’s best friend died on Friday. Grandpa and Carl met in elementary school. They were both from the same SMALL town, and as far as I know, they’ve been close that whole time. Somewhere around 75 years of friendship. Most people can’t even conceive of that. It doesn’t process for us, not only because we haven’t lived for 75 years, but because we often have friends that come and go from our lives. We don’t think that sitting next to someone in class will mean that you’re walking side by side in walkers 75 years later. Sometimes we think about romantic love like that, but not friendship love.


Grandpa and Carl, with his wife, having a dinner together this summer

I hope that when I’m 80, I have friends who can remember what I was like when I was 30, or 20, or 10. Well, I can’t think of many people that I’m still friends that knew me when I was 10, so let’s go with 15.

Today is also my best friend’s one year wedding anniversary. H and J—major congrats. I am excited to dance the funky chicken with you two in exactly 74 years.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get that picture? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i took the picture when we had the shultz over for dinner at maiden rock this summer. it was me, dad, george and keri. i tried to get one of grandpa and carl in their walkers together, but they (surprisingly) moved too fast.

    ReplyDelete