Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Supernanny

I’ve been watching the TV show Supernanny lately. I like it because I like to watch other people’s problems, and be flabbergasted at how bad the kids can be. Plus, I like to think I’m preparing for having my own kids and getting some good tips on how to work with children.

But as a social worker, I am freaked out for these families! Moms who make their kids eat soap, dad’s who are using physical punishment WAY too often, children wandering unsupervised and into unsafe situations. This week there was an episode of a mom who is already at her rope with 7 kids and a dad who is about to leave for 18 months. This sounds like a tragedy about to happen.

The shows always end on a high note with the families discussing all the ways that Supernanny has improved their relationships and their skills for interacting together; but there are definitely times when Supernanny makes a recommendation (like, don’t make your kid eat chemicals as punishment) that the parents refuse to listen to. I sit on my couch and wonder how I can contact protective services on Supernanny’s behalf (I don’t think it will work, but I fantasize about what I would say in such a call. Hello, I was watching TV and you should follow up with this family….).

Why can’t Supernanny just teach all the parents a little song that makes them perfect, safe parents who raise lovely little British children? Julie Andrews could do it.

1 comment:

  1. I love Supernanny! The families are crazy and that's the fun of the show! Plus, her name is Jo.
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete