Monday, September 13, 2010

You are how you eat:: Stubborn.

When i was a kid, there was food I did not like because it tasted bad, and there was food I did not like because other people liked it. My sister liked tacos. Therefore, I did not like tacos. My sister liked S'mores. I did not. I was pretty miffed when she started liking brussel sprouts. I thought i had pretty much covered the market on vegetables not commonly accepted as delicious. But then I decided that I only liked raw vegetables (and corn, you can't not like corn).

It wasn't just what Maria liked though, it was everyone. Everyone liked hot chocolate, so I did not. In fact chocolate was so popular, that i stopped eating it all together. I would even tell people I was allergic to it.

But then there were other foods that I just decided I didn't like. I'm not sure why, I just said "I don't like it" with out even trying it. Like chili. I think I really didn't like to have my food touch. Beans belong on one side of the plate (although i didn't like beans then) and meat on the other side. They should have no interactions. Even carrots in a salad interacted too much for me.

But now I like chili. A whole lot. Its one of my favorite cold-weather foods. And since I make it often enough, I now feel adventurous enough to eat other people's chili. This new interest came into play on Friday when we had a Chili Cookoff at work. I didn't enter a dish, but I happily took a spoonful of each entry to test. Once you've tasted a bit of all of them you could decide which one you wanted a whole bowl of. Several were tasty, but one had a nice kick to it. The label said "caution: hot hot hot" but it didn't taste so bad to me. I got a bowlful, a dollop of sour cream and sat down with my coworkers. And nearly died. Apparently my spoonful was the only non spicy part because this baby had 4 kinds of peppers as well as chili powder and other spiciness. It was hot alright.

I made it through the meal, but had chili-related digestive concerns the rest of the day. I'm thinking it might be time to go back to my less adventuresome ways.

2 comments:

  1. Your eating habits and misgivings about food touching are a reflection of your father's absurb food habits. It was definitely Grandmom's fault, and I perpetuated it to the next generation. We didn't eat chili 'cause dad doesn't like beans. We don't eat pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving 'cause Dad doesn't like pumpkin pie.
    I am so extremely happy when you girls come home with a new "like" on the food chair. End the food fussing habit. Eat like Uncle George and your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, people in Boston thought it was really weird when I was having thanksgiving dinner with them and told them I never had pumpkin pie before. Someone even asked me if they had pumpkin pie in Minnesota. Now I love it and it's my favorite fall dessert!

    ReplyDelete