Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What you leave behind

As mentioned a few weeks ago, I’ve gotten involved with a mentoring group here at work. Our CEO is leading it, and he started off by explaining that this group, this process, is not something that you just add on to your day. It means that for you, some things will have to go. So I started thinking about what has to go
-Watching the monologue and sketches for Conan O’Brian. Really, I only like his interviews.
-Playing computer games for more than an hour at a time
-Watching TV shows that I’ve already seen before (sorry, Fraggle Rock)
-I’d like to rearrange my schedule to give me more “work from home” days to save me the hour and a half commute time. That’s definitely something I can give up.

But while these are good starting places (and may make you shake your head that these are things I do now), I don’t know what else will go. I love doing roller derby. I love gardening. I love spending time with my partner and my friends. I like joining interesting committees at work that have little to do with my job description. I like watching sitcoms. But these might just be the things I have to let go.

I’m excited about where this growth process will take me, but I’m scared of what I may leave behind.

4 comments:

  1. You play computer games for more then a hour at a time? Nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow, i knew you'd be the one to say that. And i do it while watching Conan and Fraggle Rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been cyber bulling you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be easy to give up gardening soon. And...don't give up the exercise stuff. Even if I worry that someone might break your tooth, derby is good for you!

    ReplyDelete