Thursday, September 1, 2011

No senior discount for you

I might be wrong, but I'm starting to get the feeling that part of the struggle folks are facing in Detroit is rooted in a mentality about what your time in the workforce is like. Today someone told me, very earnestly, that people aren't able to retire at 62 anymore (long pause for dramatic effect). I had another coworker refer to herself as a senior because she's over 50.

Maybe its because I'm so much younger, and have grown up expecting to live to my 80s. Maybe its because most people I've known worked white collar jobs that don't hurt your body so badly that by the time you hit 50 you can feel it in every joint and bone--but I've always expected to be working until at least 65. My parents anticipated doing that. Momma is talking about going down to part time after she turns 65 this year. Grandpa went into retirement and came out a few times until he was truly bored with working. Maybe its just that my generation keeps being told that there's no way social security will let us retire at 65.

I'm aware that there are real issues at hand. Reduction in benefits, rising costs of living, and lack of community support are just the starting point. But after this morning, I can't help wonder if part of the reason that Detroit's mature workers feel they are in such a crisis, and so put-upon is because they expected to retire in their mid-50s? Hearing that you need to work until your 70s when you expected to have spent 15 years of relaxation can't be easy.

Its got me thinking that maybe we need to begin the change process here by redefining a "senior".

2 comments:

  1. Well, you also need to think about people who have been doing hard, hard work for 30 years. Maybe "retire" isn't the word we need...Deb Magnuson uses the word "refire" -- find something else to do that earns money but saves your aching body. (Is there such a job?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick! Blog twice today to reach your twice a week goal!!!

    ReplyDelete