Friday, April 2, 2010

my coworkers

A friend asked me what my coworkers are like. Most of them are in their 30s or 40s. I’ve seen some other folks that might be close to my age around the office, but I think most of them are in different departments, like fund raising, marketing or 211 (where folks can call in and get information about how to access resources). I think I’m really proud to be the youngest person in my department, if only because it means that they thought I could hold my own in a group of experienced workers.

About half the staff at United Way is African American and a little less than half is white. A friend of mine once worked at an agency that explicitly hired staff so that their staff matched the racial composition of the people they served. Since we serve Detroit which is 90% African American and 3 counties that are a bit more diverse, I think the staff probably reflects the area well. It’s definitely the most racially diverse place that I’ve ever worked and I’m really glad that it is. I would have been disappointed with anything less.

Since most of the staff is older and we’re often meeting with very important people, everyone dresses really nicely. I mean really. I used to think a nice sweater and dress pants were enough. Now I find myself looking for blazers and accessories to dress up my limited clothes selection. Hopefully there’s a sale at Macy’s soon.

3 comments:

  1. Right...dress the way your colleagues dress. You called me a hippie, but the ESL teachers mostly dress like I do (in fact, at one time at the U three of us had the exact same Guatemalan embroidered skirt!) The teachers at the tech college dressed more upscale, probably reflecting their higher salaries (union).
    Hope the sales are good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean I can buy grown up accessories and clothing for you? I really want to do it for me but since I wear scrubs to work I can't justify buying nice stuff that I will never wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes maria. please do buy me all sorts of adult clothes. let's take a grown up shopping trip sometime

    ReplyDelete